Hello, and welcome to our article on the best elliptical for a heavy person.
I did the heavy lifting for you and spent over 30 hours researching and testing dozens of elliptical machines from different brands and models.
Our top pick is the Sole E95 Elliptical. This is a sturdy, smooth, and smart elliptical trainer that can handle up to 400 lbs and give you a full-body workout.
I have selected and reviewed these products based on their weight capacity, flywheel weight, stride length, resistance levels, incline options, and other features.
So, are you ready to find out which elliptical is the best for you? Let’s get started!
What are Best Elliptical for Heavy Person?
Here is the list of my top 7 ellipticals for heavy person after researching and some testing:
- Best Overall – Sole Fitness E95 Elliptical Machine
- Best Budget – Schwinn 430 Elliptical Trainer
- Best Quiet Elliptical – Niceday Elliptical Machine
- Best Interactive workout experience – NordicTrack 14.9 Commercial Elliptical
- Best for Entertainment – Nautilus E618 Elliptical
- Best for Comfort – Spirit XE295 Elliptical
- Best for Total Body Workout – NordicTrack FS14i Elliptical
Sole E95 Elliptical
- Price: $$
- Weight capacity: 400 pounds
- Stride length: 20”
- Flywheel: 27 pounds
- Warranty: Lifetime frame, 5 years parts and electronics, 2 years labor
- Best for: Overall
If you are looking for a sturdy, smooth, and smart elliptical that can handle your weight and give you a full-body workout, look no further than the Sole E95 Elliptical.
This elliptical is different from those flimsy ones that shake and rattle when you use them.
No, this elliptical trainer is sturdy and stable. It can take whatever you dish out. You can go as fast or as slow as you want, and it won’t budge. You’ll feel confident and secure on this elliptical.
The pedals are big and comfy, so your feet won’t slide off.
They also have this cool feature that lets you adjust the angle of the pedals to suit your preference. You can go from flat to 10 degrees up or down. This helps prevent foot numbness and makes your workout more comfortable.
Plus, the pedals have a slight inward slope that reduces stress on your joints.
The Sole E95 Elliptical is super smooth and quiet thanks to its dual-track system and magnetic resistance. The dual-track system has two rails that support the pedals and make them glide smoothly. The magnetic resistance uses magnets to create tension without touching the flywheel. This means no friction and no noise. You can pedal away without disturbing anyone around you.
The adjustable incline feature is awesome. It adds more challenge and variety to your workouts. The Sole E95 Elliptical has 20 levels of incline that go from 0 to 30 degrees. You can change the incline using the buttons on the console or the handles.
This works diffeent muscles in your legs and butt and burns more calories.
I’ve tried this elliptical myself at a local gym, and I was blown away by how smooth and quiet it was. I also loved how easy it was to change the resistance and incline options by using the buttons on the handles.
And I had a blast watching Netflix on the big touchscreen while pedalling away.
- Smooth and quiet motion: It delivers a fluid and silent movement. You can enjoy your elliptical workout without disturbing anyone else or listening to any annoying noises.
- Customizable and comfortable features: Lets you adjust the stride length, the incline levels, and the resistance to suit your preferences and goals. You can also modify the foot pedals to fit your feet and reduce the impact on your joints. The pedals have a two-degree inward slope that aligns your body posture and prevents injuries.
- Stability and longevity of the frame: It has a durable steel frame and a 400-pound weight capacity that ensure reliability and durability. You can trust that this elliptical will last for a long time and support your weight.
- It’s heavy and bulky: It’s sturdy and stable…but it’s not easy to move or store. The Sole E95 weighs 236 pounds and measures 82 x 31 x 67 inches.
Schwinn 430 Elliptical Trainer
- Price: $
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Stride Length: 20″
- Flywheel: 20 lbs
- Warranty: 10 years frame, 2 years mechanical parts, 1 year electronics, 90 days labor
- Best for: Budget
If you want something that offers something close to Sole E95 at almost half the price, then check Schwinn 430.
First of all, It has a centre post and multiple adjustable levellers that keep it grounded and balanced. This means you can feel confident and secure on this elliptical, just like Sole E95, no matter how hard you push yourself.
The Schwinn 430 gives you a smooth and quiet ride with its flywheel and magnetic resistance. You can easily change the resistance level with the buttons on the console or the handles.
The next thing that I really liked is that you can choose from 22 different preset workouts, such as manual, quick start, custom, fitness test, heart rate control, and more. This is more than the Sole E95 Elliptical, which only has 10 workouts to choose from.
Compared to the Sole E95 Elliptical, the Schwinn 430 Elliptical has fewer resistance levels (20 vs 30) and a less advanced display (LCD vs touchscreen).
Overall, the Schwinn 430 Elliptical is suitable for users who want a reasonably priced elliptical with basic features and plenty of preprogrammed workouts and resistance levels.
- Affordable price: The Schwinn 430 Elliptical has a lower MSRP than the Sole E95 Elliptical, and you can often find it on sale for even less. This makes it a budget-friendly option for a home or garage gyms.
- Compact Size: It has a smaller footprint, which makes it easier to fit in smaller spaces.
- Variety of programs: It has 22 preprogrammed workouts, which is more than the Sole E95 Elliptical, which only has 10. This gives you more options to choose from, and you always stay energized!
- Data sync: It has a Schwinn Connect feature that lets you sync your data with online fitness apps like MyFitnessPal or Schwinn Trainer App. This helps you track your progress and goals over time.
- Manual incline: The Schwinn 430 Elliptical has a manual incline adjustment, which means you have to get off the machine and use a lever under the console to change the incline level. This can interrupt your workout flow and limit your options.
- No Bluetooth: It does not have Bluetooth connectivity, which means you cannot connect your device wirelessly to stream music or use other apps.
NiceDay Elliptical Machine
- Price: $
- Weight capacity: 400 lbs
- Weight: 106lbs
- Stride length: 15.5 inches
- Flywheel: 16 lbs
- Warranty: 1 year
- Best for: Most Quiet
Are you looking for an elliptical exercise machine that won’t make a lot of noise and won’t take up a lot of space? Then the Niceday Elliptical Machine is for you!
The first thing that blew me away about this elliptical is how quiet it is. Having a quiet elliptical machine is great for people who live in apartments, have sleeping kids, or work from home.
The Niceday Elliptical Machine also has a mostly pre-assembled design that makes assembly a breeze. You only need to attach a few parts and use a few tools, and you’re good to go. The whole process should take you less than an hour, unlike some other ellipticals that can take forever to set up.
Niceday is less fancy and feature-rich than the Sole E95 Elliptical or the Schwinn 430 Elliptical. Still, it does have some advantages over them. It is smaller and lighter, measuring about 43 inches wide and 62 inches long on the ground and weighing about 183 pounds.
Overall, Niceday is ideal for people who don’t care much about fancy features or gadgets and want to get a good workout done. If you are one of those people, then give the Niceday Elliptical Machine a try.
Quiet and smooth operation: It has a hyper-quiet magnetic drive system that eliminates noise and friction. You can work out peacefully without annoying anyone else or yourself.
Easy assembly: It comes mostly pre-assembled and only requires a few steps and tools to complete. You can set it up quickly and easily without any hassle.
Compact and affordable: The Niceday Elliptical Machine has a small footprint and a low price tag. It fits comfortably in most spaces and does not break the bank.
No incline or stride adjustment: It does not have an incline feature or a variable stride length. You cannot change the angle or the length of the pedals to suit your preference or goal. But if you are a beginner, Niceday is for you!
Basic display and connectivity: It does not have a backlit display or Bluetooth connectivity. You cannot see the screen well in dim light or connect your device wirelessly to stream music or use other apps.
NordicTrack 14.9 Commercial Elliptical
- Price: $$$
- Weight capacity: 350 lbs
- Weight: 210 lbs
- Stride length: 17.5″ to 18.7″ (auto adjustable)
- Flywheel: 32 lbs
- Warranty: 10-year frame, 2-year parts, 1-year labor
- Best for: Interactive workout experience
Next up, we have the NordicTrack 14.9 Commercial Elliptical, a high-end and interactive elliptical machine that will spice up your home workouts.
This elliptical has a 14-inch HD touchscreen that lets you use iFit (an amazing fitness app that gives you access to live classes, personal trainers, scenic routes, Google Maps, and more.)
Imagine running on the streets of Paris, the beaches of Hawaii, or the mountains of Nepal without leaving your home. How cool is that? You can explore the world and get fit at the same time with this elliptical…
This elliptical also has a powerful incline feature that can go up to 20%, which makes your workouts more challenging and varied. The incline can automatically adjust according to the terrain or the trainer’s instructions, or you can manually control it.
Plus, it has a front-drive design with a heavy flywheel that makes the machine very quiet and smooth.
Overall, the 14.9 Commercial treadmill is best for techies who want to enjoy online classes with trainers as well as ride on the streets of Paris with the help of Google Maps.
- Large and tilting touchscreen: A large 14-inch HD touchscreen that lets you see the iFit workouts and features clearly and vividly. You can also tilt the screen up or down to adjust the viewing angle according to your height and preference. This makes the elliptical more comfortable and enjoyable to use.
- Customizable and comfortable pedals: This Elliptical has oversized, cushioned, and adjustable pedals that let you choose from three different angle settings to reduce foot numbness and accommodate different preferences. You can also move the pedals both forwards and backward to work different muscles and add variety to your workouts.
- Heavy and bulky: The NordicTrack 14.9 Commercial Elliptical is heavy and bulky, weighing 210 pounds and measuring 78 x 26 x 70 inches. You will need enough ceiling height and space for this machine.
- Requires power outlet and Wi-Fi connection: It requires a power outlet and a Wi-Fi connection to use the touchscreen and iFit features. You will also need to pay for the iFit subscription after the free trial ends if you want to continue using it.
Nautilus E616 Elliptical Trainer
- Price: $$
- Weight capacity: 300 lbs
- Weight: 173 lbs
- Stride length: 20″
- Flywheel: Not mentioned
- Warranty: 10 years frame, 2 years parts, 1 year electronics, 90 days labor
- Best for: Entertainment
Do you want to work out and stay connected at the same time? Then you need the Nautilus E616 Elliptical Trainer.
This machine is not only packed with fitness features but also with relevant technology that can enhance your workout experience.
The E616 is a low-impact exercise machine that can provide a smooth and quiet ride with 25 levels of resistance and a motorized incline from 0 to 10 degrees.
But what makes this machine stand out from the rest is its Bluetooth functionality that allows you to sync your workout data with the Explore the World app and other fitness apps. The Explore the World app lets you virtually travel to different locations around the world while exercising.
Overall, The Nautilus E616 Elliptical Trainer is a great option for anyone who wants a low-impact exercise machine that can provide a challenging and varied workout at home. It is especially suitable for multitaskers who want to stay connected and entertained while exercising.
Enjoy a smooth and quiet ride: The E616 is so smooth and quiet that you won’t disturb anyone else or yourself. You can work out in peace and forget about those annoying squeaks or clanks!
Choose from a variety of workouts: It has 29 programs to suit your fitness goals and preferences. You can also sync your machine with the Explore the World app and other fitness apps through Bluetooth. You can choose from different class styles, such as strength training, cardio, yoga, rowing, and more. There’s something for everyone!
Missing some extras: It does not have a fan or a USB port, which might be inconvenient for some users who want to cool down or charge their devices while working out. But at this price, it offers questionable value.
Spirit XE295 Elliptical
- Price: $$$
- Weight capacity: 400 lbs
- Weight: 187 lbs
- Flywheel: 30 lbs
- Warranty: Lifetime for frame, brake, and parts; 1 year for labor
- Best for: Comfortable
You know what they say: smooth operators always get the job done. And that’s exactly what the Spirit XE295 Elliptical is: a smooth operator that will help you get in shape and have fun at the same time.
The Spirit XE295 Elliptical has a special dual-track system that makes it super stable and smooth. It also has a narrow pedal spacing that feels like a natural stride and keeps your joints happy.
The Spirit XE295 Elliptical also has a cool blue backlit display that lets you see all kinds of feedback and profiles. You can also adjust the resistance and incline levels with the handlebar controls without breaking your rhythm.
And, of course, this is not a compact or foldable elliptical machine, so you’ll need to have enough space to fit it.
Overall, the Spirit XE295 Elliptical is a great option for seniors who want a mid-priced traditional elliptical machine that offers a smooth and comfortable workout experience with various feedback and profiles.
- Durable and dependable: It has a solid steel frame that provides stability and durability. It can support up to 400 pounds of user weight, similar to Sole E95. It also has a generous warranty coverage that shows the confidence of the manufacturer in its quality.
- Natural moving position: You will love an inverted 2-degree angle on the oversized pedal that reduces stress on the joints and muscles. It also has a 20-inch stride length that can accommodate most users.
- No fan or USB port: The Spirit XE295 Elliptical does not have a fan or a USB port, which might be inconvenient for some users who want to cool down or charge their devices while working out. You should use an external fan or an extension cord for these purposes.
NordicTrack FS14i Elliptical
- Price: $$$
- Weight capacity: 375 lbs
- Weight: 350 lbs
- Stride length: Adjustable up to 32″
- Flywheel: 20 lbs
- Warranty: 10-year frame, 2-year parts, 1-year labor
- Best for: Total body workout
If you are looking for an elliptical that can do more than just elliptical, then you should check out the NordicTrack FS14i.
This machine is not your ordinary elliptical. It is a three-in-one machine that can transform into a stepper, a treadmill, or an elliptical, depending on your mood and preference. You can switch between different modes easily without changing any settings. This way, you can target different muscle groups and get more variety in your workouts.
How cool is that?
The NordicTrack FS14i is a hybrid elliptical trainer that offers more versatility and functionality than a standard elliptical. It has an adjustable stride length that can range from 0 to 32 inches, which is more than any other elliptical, depending on your motion.
Overall, the NordicTrack FS14i is an excellent elliptical for the heavy person who wants a Total Body Workout. It is a three-in-one machine that can transform into different modes of exercise without changing any settings.
- 10% incline and 10% decline: The NordicTrack FS14i is one of the few ellipticals that has both incline and decline features. This adds more challenge and realism to your workouts, especially when using iFit.
- 14-inch HD touchscreen: It has a large and clear touchscreen that lets you access thousands of iFit classes and global workouts. You can follow along with the trainers on the screen, which displays the workouts in high definition.
- Tons of comfort features: Many features that make it comfortable and enjoyable to use. It has moving and stationary handlebars, which provide an upper body workout and quick controls for resistance and incline. It has front-facing speakers, which are Bluetooth compatible and can play music or audio from the display or a connected device. It also has a fan, which has three-speed settings and can be tilted up and down.
- It’s not cheap: The NordicTrack FS14i is a premium elliptical that offers a lot of value, but it also comes with a hefty price tag. The machine costs $2,299 plus a monthly subscription fee for iFit. If you use the machine regularly and make use of all its features, it’s worth every penny. If you don’t plan to use iFit or switch between different modes often, it might not be worth it for you.
How to Choose the Right Elliptical for Heavy Person
This section is dedicated to things you must know before buying an elliptical. By considering these factors, you can make an informed decision and avoid any regrets.
The first and most obvious factor to consider is the weight capacity of the elliptical. This is the maximum weight that the machine can support safely and smoothly. You want to choose an elliptical that can handle your weight without wobbling, squeaking, or breaking down.
The weight capacity of ellipticals varies from model to model. Still, you should look for an elliptical that has a weight capacity of at least 300 lbs if you are a heavy person. Some ellipticals can even support up to 450 lbs or 500 lbs, which is ideal for morbidly obese users.
The flywheel is the part of the elliptical that creates resistance and momentum as you pedal. The weight of the flywheel affects the smoothness and stability of the elliptical. A heavier flywheel will provide a more consistent and fluid motion, while a lighter flywheel will feel jerky and uneven.
A heavier flywheel will also make the elliptical more durable and less prone to wear and tear. For heavy users, a heavier flywheel is recommended, as it will provide more challenge and support.
A good rule of thumb is to look for an elliptical that has a flywheel weight of at least 20 lbs.
The stride length is the distance that your feet travel with each step on the elliptical. The stride length affects the comfort and effectiveness of your workout. A longer stride length will allow you to stretch your legs more and engage more muscles, while a shorter stride length will limit your range of motion and reduce your calorie burn. The stride length also depends on your height and leg length.
For heavy users, a longer stride length is preferable, as it will help you burn more fat and improve your cardiovascular health. A good range to look for is between 18 inches and 22 inches.
The resistance levels are the settings that control how hard or easy it is to pedal on the elliptical. The resistance levels affect the intensity and challenge of your workout.
A higher resistance level will make you work harder and burn more calories, while a lower resistance level will make you work easier and burn less calories. For heavy users, having more resistance levels is beneficial, as it will allow you to adjust your workout according to your fitness level and goals.
You can start with a low resistance level and gradually increase it as you get stronger and fitter. A good number to look for is between 16 and 24 resistance levels.
The incline options are the settings that control the angle or slope of the elliptical pedals. The incline options affect the difficulty and variety of your workout. A higher incline option will make you work harder and target different muscle groups, such as your glutes, hamstrings, and calves, while a lower incline option will make you work easier and target mainly your quads.
For heavy users, having incline options is advantageous, as it will allow you to change up your workout routine and challenge yourself in different ways. You can switch between flat, uphill, or downhill modes depending on your mood and preference. A good feature to look for is an adjustable or automatic incline option that can range from 0% to 20%.
Benefits of Using Elliptical for Heavy Person
- Low-impact exercise: An elliptical machine does not put stress on your knees, ankles, hips, back, or other joints. A study showed that an elliptical workout is much less weight-bearing than running, jogging, or similar exercises. 
- Calorie burning: An elliptical machine can help you lose weight by burning a lot of calories in a short time. You can burn about 270–400 calories in 30 minutes, depending on your weight. You can also increase the intensity of your workout by changing the resistance, incline, and speed. 
- Muscle toning: An elliptical machine with handles can give you both an upper and lower body workout. You can work on your quads, hamstrings, glutes, calves, chest, back, shoulders, biceps, and triceps. You can also target different muscles by pedalling forward or backwards or by using the incline feature.
- Cardiovascular health: An elliptical machine can improve your heart and lung health by making them work harder to supply oxygen and blood to your muscles. This can lower your risk of heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, and other chronic conditions. It can also boost your stamina and endurance.
- Convenience and versatility: An elliptical machine can be used at home or at the gym. You can also choose from different models and features that suit your needs and goals. Some ellipticals have smart connectivity options that allow you to access online programs or apps that can guide you through your workouts. Some ellipticals are also hybrid machines like Nordictrack FS14i that can function as a stepper or a treadmill. This way, you can get more variety and challenge in your workouts.
So there you have it, my friend.
You have many options, depending on your budget, space, and preferences.
But if I had to choose one, I recommend the Sole E95 Elliptical. This elliptical is sturdy, smooth, and smart.
This article has helped you find the best elliptical for a heavy person.
Thanks for reading!
Are ellipticals good for overweight people?
Yes, ellipticals are good for overweight people because they provide low-impact exercise that does not put stress on the joints and muscles. Ellipticals can help overweight people improve their cardiovascular health, burn calories, and tone their muscles.
Are ellipticals good for losing belly fat?
Yes, ellipticals can help you lose belly fat by burning calories and increasing your metabolism. However, you also need to follow a healthy diet and lifestyle to see the best results. To lose belly fat, you should aim to create a calorie deficit of 500 to 1000 calories per day, which means you burn more calories than you consume. You can do this by eating less processed foods, more fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats. You should also drink plenty of water, get enough sleep, and reduce stress.
How often should I use an elliptical for weight loss?
The frequency of using an elliptical for weight loss depends on your fitness level, goals, and schedule. However, a general guideline is to use an elliptical at least three times a week for 30 to 60 minutes per session. You should also vary your intensity and incline levels to challenge yourself and avoid boredom. You can also combine your elliptical workouts with other forms of exercise, such as strength training, yoga, or walking.